Term 2 | 2018
Download the faculty PDF of this task here
Download the mobile version of the task here
This project based task explores photographic practice as a means of conveying a story / narrative, documenting an event or sequence.
As identified on the task sheet for this project the aim of the course is to;
- Introduce you the student to the practice and production of documentary photography.
Explore taking photographs at different times of the day and in different environments.
Explore the elasticity of time through various investigations of the world.
Explore the documentation of narrative accounts and the potential of photographic sequences.
Develop conceptual meanings through the construction of selected images.
Explore the critical and historical aspects of the documentary photograph.
Two core task components make up this project;
- Part 1-Practical task: The Documentary image
- Part 2-Coursework:
- Pairs + Diptych
- Photo Flipbook
- Hand drawn stencils
- Images as words
- Instagram Moments
- Small worlds
- Spray / Mist
Part 1- The Documentary Image
Produce a series of photographic images that document and / or interpret; an event, journey or a narrative account of a time frame in your life’
For the submission of this task you will need:
- A minimum of 15 images.
- At least 3 of these images demonstrate an experimental approach to either camera work or post processing.
- One ‘landmark’ image. i.e., an image that in your opinion captures the essence of your documentary.
- One image montage.
Part 2 – Coursework
- Pairs = any two of something
3. Hand drawn stencils – graphic overlays
4. Images as words.
4. Instagram moments
Simply a series of mobile / smartphone images that documents life’s fleeting, quirky moments.
5. Small Worlds.